The basketball betting Spread is explained with easy examples by W88malayu. Join W88 Malaysia to place spread bets & claim a 100% welcome bonus of up to RM150.
Sports betting is increasing in popularity among youngsters and if you want to hop in on it then knowing how to place bets on the various betting options is important. Currently, the best bets in sports are happening in the basketball domain thanks to the spread betting option which helps in making basketball betting a thrilling experience. So, let us help you understand what is spread betting in basketball using examples from W88.
What is Spread in basketball betting?
Spread betting in basketball is a fun way to even out the matches played between strong and underdog teams in the sportsbook. In other sports domain like football and cricket, this betting option is commonly known as the handicap betting option as the stronger team is given a handicap condition they must fulfil for the bets placed on them to win.
- The Spread betting option in Basketball Betting has many names, sometimes it is referred to as the Handicap betting option, whereas sometimes it is called the Line or Margin betting option.
- However, the definition of this betting option in basketball is the same as the ones seen in other sports where the stronger teams are given a handicap disadvantage while the underdog team is given a handicap advantage.
- This point disadvantage (-) and advantage (+) is given based on the strength difference between the teams in the sportsbook.
- As you can see in the image above, all the teams highlighted in red are given a handicap disadvantage of different – points while the teams in black automatically get an advantage head-start with the same + points.
Note: In other sports matches like football or cricket, this Spread betting option is given as the Handicap or HDP betting option since the stronger team gets a handicap disadvantage and the underdog team gets a head-start advantage.
Examples of Spread bets in basketball betting
Let us now take a closer look at what is spread in basketball betting using examples from W88. Here, we will be using 2 different kinds of betting options to elaborate on the point difference given to the stronger team and underdog team. Case 1 will include teams with a 7.5 point difference while case 2 would include teams with a 15.5 point difference. With these examples and some Betting Tips for Basketball, you will be equipped with a good start to place your real money bets online.
CASE 1: 7.5 Point Difference where Team A is given a spread disadvantage of -7.5 points while Team B is given a advantage of +7.5 points.
- Here team A must score at least 8 or more points and win the match for the bets placed on them to win. If they score less than 8 points, draw, or lose the match, then the bets placed on them is lost.
- Here team B must lose the match by less than 8 points, draw the match, or win the match for bets placed on them to win. If they lose the match by 8 or more points then the bets placed on them is lost.
CASE 2: 15.5 Point Difference where Team A is given a spread advantage of +15.5 points and Team B is given a disadvantage of -15.5 points.
- Here team A must lose the match by less than 16 points, draw the match, or win the match for bets placed on them to win. If they lose the match by 16 or more points then the bets placed on them is lost.
- Here team B must score at least 16 or more points and win the match for the bets placed on them to win. If they score less than 16 points, draw, or lose the match, then the bets placed on them is lost.
Place Spread bets in basketball betting at W88 in 3 easy steps
Now that you know most of the things about sports betting online, it is important that you place your bets on a proper and good online betting site like W88. This is something that you should do because finding a good online betting site would also give you the chance to find great online betting bonuses like the ones offered by W88 Promotion where you can get up to RM150 on sports betting online.
Step 1: Login at W88 and pick a sportsbook from the site
- So, the first thing that you must do is login at W88 by clicking on ‘Login‘, this will give you a pop-up box where you must enter your W88 login credentials to access the sportsbooks.
- If you do not have an online betting account on the site, then you can go ahead and create an account at W88 by clicking on ‘Register‘ where you will be taken to the W88 registration form that you must fill with accuracy.
- Once you are done with creating an account in the W88 Register, you can go ahead and click on or hover your mouse over ‘Sports‘, this will introduce you to all the sportsbooks available on the site.
- Here, you can pick your favorite sportsbook and move on to step number 2 in this tutorial. We decided to go with the e-Sports Asian sportsbook as it is beginner friendly.
Step 2: Select your preferred basketball match with spread bets
- Next, when you are taken to a new W88 sportsbook page, you will find all matches and their betting odds and options for different sports, so to filter out the sportsbook, you must click on ‘Basketball‘ which is available on the left hand side of the sportsbooks.
- As you can see, you will even get a change to further filter out the W88 Sportsbook to select basketball matches that are Live, Upcoming for the day, Future matches, and also place Outright bets on an entire league.
- When you filter out the sportsbook according to your preference, you must select a basketball match with the spread betting option. Here, we picked a match between Charlotte Hornets and Phoenix Suns under the NBA league with the handicap spread option with -10 and +10 points.
Step 3: Click on a spread sub-betting option & fill the bet slip
- For the final part of the tutorial, you must place your bets in the betting slip so, when you click on your preferred basketball match in the sportsbook, you will be taken to a page where all betting options for the match will be available.
- Here, you must find the Full Time Spread option (FT Spread) and click on your preferred sub-betting option.
- When you do so, this will open a bet slip to the left hand side of the sportsbook. Here, you must enter the betting stake and look at the payout you will receive. To place some accurate bets on Basketball matches, you can even use your own Basketball Betting Strategies.
- Then click on ‘Process Bets‘, to lock your bets in the sportsbook for the match. Now all you must do is sit back and watch the match in anticipation of the outcome.
- In the image example given above, we decided to go with the spread betting option for Charlotte Hornets as they have a +10 advantage. The betting stake we decided to use is RM5 which will give us a payout of RM9.70 for the betting odds of 1.94.
How will the betting odds help in basketball spread betting?
When it comes to handicap or spread betting options in sports like football and basketball, the betting odds given in the sportsbook does not really tell you which bets could win as the teams will have to adhere to the spread betting conditions that will alter the reality of the match in the sportsbook and thus, the betting odds could change too. So, let us take a look at the table below to know How to Win in Basketball Betting using the given betting odds in sportsbooks.
|Charlotte Hornets +10 head-start @ 1.94
|Phoenix Suns -10 handicap @ 1.94
|Condition: Charlotte Hornets need to lose by 9 points or less, win the match, or draw the match
|Condition: Phoenix Suns need to win the match by scoring 10 or more than 10 points.
|Betting odds: 1.94
|Betting odds: 1.94
|Betting stake: RM5
|Betting stake: RM5
|Payout if won: RM9.70
|Payout if won: RM9.70
As you can see in the example given above, because the spread betting condition evens out the match played between both teams, here the betting odds is the same. But these betting odds for the teams could change as the real match commences in the basketball court. Thus, if you want to receive higher payouts then you can risk betting on higher odds as it is multiplied with your betting stake but if you want to win the bet backed by careful decisions then betting on the team with a head-start advantage is better.
This was all about What is Spread in Basketball Betting with simple explanations and examples from the W88 sportsbook. Just as shown above, you can now go ahead an place spread bets on the underdog or strong teams in basketball and try your best basketball betting strategies in the W88 sportsbooks. So, join W88 and claim up to RM150 as a new member bonus offer to get the best gambling experience online today!